Call for Archeological Papers
The Archeological Society of Virginia is calling for archaeological papers for their 80th Annual Meeting in October 2020. Members of the ASV, COVA, colleges and universities, and others are encouraged to participate. Due to the current situation the meeting will be held online with several modes for the presentation of research.
Narrated or video 20-minute presentation of papers by Students or Archaeological Professionals
Record the presentation of your paper with Powerpoint, screen casting, or video. We plan to have several virtual conference sessions throughout the month of October, where the videos of several paper presentations will be shown and the presenters will take questions from a Zoom-based audience.
Archaeological Posters by Students or Archaeological Professionals
Provide a research update via an Archaeological poster. There is also a possibility if enough posters are received that we can prepare a virtual poster session in October.
Abstracts for papers and posters must be submitted no later than is September 4, 2020.
An enhanced abstract is a 1000-word research update with an approximately 250-word introduction to the research project; a 500 to 600-word section on the work completed for the project; and a 150 to 250-word conclusion. We suggest including one illustration. We request submission in PDF.
Enhanced abstracts must be submitted no later than September 30, 2020.
Once we receive your abstract, we will contact you with further information about posting your presentation. Unless otherwise requested all papers, posters and enhanced abstracts will be posted on the ASV website until December 31, 2020.
Please email abstracts and enhanced abstracts to: David Brown, Program Co-Chair, email@example.com
For info on the Student Paper Competition, contact Co-Chair Stephanie Jacobe: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following information:
SUBMITTOR NAME _________________________________________________________________
CITY ______________________________ STATE ______________ ZIP ___________
E-MAIL ADDRESS ______________________ ASV Member _______ COVA member _______
Call for Student Papers and Posters
The Archeological Society of Virginia (ASV) provides cash prizes and publication to the best student papers and posters presented at the Annual ASV Meeting, which will be held virtually this year. The competition is open to undergraduate and graduate students in their first two years of study.
Three award categories exist, recognizing student research contributions in for papers:
⦁ The McCary Award for the best paper in Prehistoric Archaeology
⦁ The Williams Award for the best paper in Historical Archaeology
⦁ The Virginia Museum of Natural History Award for the best collections-based paper.
⦁ The Best Student Poster Award
All winners will be announced in October. Awards of $100.00 are provided to contest winners, once their winning paper or poster is submitted to the ASV’s Quarterly Bulletin for publication.
1. By Friday, September 4, 2020 send presentation or poster abstract to Dr. David Brown, ASV Program Chair via email (email@example.com) and Dr. Stephanie Jacobe, ASV Education Committee Chair, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. Record the presentation of your paper with Powerpoint, screen casting, or video by October 7, 2020. The narrated presentation, video, or poster should be sent to Dr. Jacobe at email@example.com. We will post the narrated presentation, video, or poster presentation on our website until at least December 31, 2020. Finally, the presentation will potentially be included in a virtual conference session that will be held throughout the month of October via Zoom.
3. Information about preparing narrated powerpoint presentations, screen casting and videos will be posted on the ASV website.
4. Information on how to prepare conference posters can be found here.
Posters will be judged on content, organization of material, graphics, effectiveness of presentation, and contributions to the field of Archaeology.
5. All winner will be announced in October. The ASV will sponsor conference registration and a one-year membership in the organization for all student presenters.
If you have any questions regarding the Student Paper or Poster Contest at the ASV Annual Meeting, please contact Dr. Jacobe at firstname.lastname@example.org.