ASV 2018 ANNUAL MEETING
OCTOBER 12-14, 2018
Hampton Inn/Winchester North, 1204 Berryville Ave, Winchester, Va
Conference: $30 per attendee. Banquet: $35 per attendee.
David Brown and Stephanie Jacobe are Program Chairs; the Northern Shenandoah Valley Chapter is in charge of arrangements.
Please register for your hotel rooms for the Annual Meeting by the cut-off date of September 18, 2018 – not only to secure the Annual Meeting rate, but to also secure a room. Fall is a busy tourism season in the Shenandoah Valley, and we have no guarantee of rooms after the cut-off.
Hampton Inn Winchester North/Conference Center
1204 Berryville Avenue, Winchester, Virginia, 22601
PHONE: (540) 678-4000
HAMPTON INN WEBSITE
Cost: $92/night plus 11.3% taxes. Mention “ASV” to get the conference room rate.
(10 additional rooms guaranteed through 9/18/18)
Hilton Garden Inn Winchester
Street Address & Phone: 120 Wingate Drive, Winchester, Virginia, 22601
PHONE: (540) 722-8881
HILTON GARDEN INN WEBSITE
2018 ANNUAL MEETING ITINERARY
The weekend will include:
- Papers and poster presentations
- The Council of Virginia Archaeologists’ Friday Evening Education Session and reception
- Field trips
- Certification classes
- Student presenters will again be fully sponsored through the Student Scholarship Fund.
CALL FOR ARCHEOLOGICAL PAPERS
The Archeological Society of Virginia is calling for archaeological papers for their 2018 Annual Meeting. Members of the ASV, COVA, colleges and universities, and others are encouraged to participate. You MUST REGISTER FOR THE ANNUAL MEETING in order to submit an abstract. Deadline is August 31, 2018.
CALL FOR STUDENT PAPERS AND POSTERS
The Archeological Society of Virginia (ASV) is seeking papers and posters from undergraduate and graduate students to be presented at their 2018 Annual Meeting: The presentation should be no more than 20 minutes in length and a PowerPoint slideshow is encouraged. Posters should be no larger than 36 inches by 48 inches. The ASV will sponsor conference registration, banquet ticket, and one-year membership in the organization for all student presenters. Deadline is September 7, 2018.
Student Abstract Submission Application (Online)
Student Abstract Submission Application (Download)
STUDENT PAPER & POSTER COMPETITION
The Archeological Society of Virginia (ASV) provides cash prizes and publication to the best student papers and posters presented at the Annual ASV Meeting. The competition is open only to undergraduate and graduate students in their first two years of study.
Three award categories exist, recognizing student research contributions in for papers:
- The McCary Award for the best paper in Prehistoric Archaeology
- The Williams Award for the best paper in Historical Archaeology
- The Virginia Museum of Natural History Award for the best collections-based paper.
In addition, for 2018 the ASV board has provided a new prize for the Best Student Poster submission.
All winners will be announced at the ASV Banquet on October 13th. Awards of $100.00 are provided to contest winners, once their winning paper or poster is submitted to the ASV’s Quarterly Bulletin for publication.
To Enter the Competition Each Student must do each of the following:
- By Friday, September 7, 2018, send presentation or poster abstract to Dr. David Brown, ASV Program Chair via email () and Dr. Stephanie Jacobe, ASV Education Committee Chair, via email.
- Students should prepare a written version of their presentation or a draft of their poster as a PDF, to be submitted by Friday, September 28, 2018. This written paper or draft poster PDF should be provided to Dr. Jacobe as an email attachment. It will be distributed to the judges, who will review it ahead of the meeting.
- In addition, participants should prepare an oral presentation for the Annual Meeting in October. The presentation should be no more than 20 minutes in length and a PowerPoint slideshow is encouraged. The judges will attend the presentations and evaluate each on based upon the content, organization, and effectiveness of their presentation, professionalism shown, and the contributions made to the field of Archaeology.
- Posters will be judged on content, organization of material, graphics, effectiveness of presentation, and contributions to the field of Archaeology. Information on how to prepare conference posters can be found: https://www.archaeological.org/pdfs/annualconference/SAA_Bulletin_12(1)_Poster_Primer_A5S.pdf.
- Participants are responsible for attending the ASV Annual Meeting in October and for presenting their paper or poster at the assigned time. Awards will be announced at the Annual Banquet, Saturday, October 13, 2018. The ASV will sponsor conference registration, banquet ticket, and one-year membership in the organization for all student presenters.
If you have any questions regarding the Student Paper or Poster Contest or Student Sponsorship at the ASV Annual Meeting, please email Dr. Jacobe.